1 September 2016 - 19 January 2018
I worked as part of the SMARTmove project, which aims to produce a system for rehabilitating the upper limbs of patients with stroke using functional electrical stimulation.
My key responsibilities included:
- implementing and maintaining iterative learning control algorithms in C++ on real-time Linux platforms;
- writing C#/XAML code to produce an attractive GUI;
- designing processes and algorithms to evaluate patient performance using data from a Microsoft Kinect sensor;
- devising and writing unit tests in C++ using the Catch unit test framework;
- managing continuous integration services to monitor the quality of the controller and GUI code bases;
- conducting end-to-end tests of ... Read more
1 October 2007 - 1 June 2012
Chemical engineering is primarily about manufacturing chemicals on an industrial scale in a safe and economical manner. This degree therefore contained the fundamentals of process design, such as:
- mass, heat and momentum transport,
- reactor design,
- binary distillation,
- heat exchangers and heat integration,
- other unit operations such as liquid-liquid extraction, membrane filtration and crystallisation.
As well as this, there were also topics of a professional and economic nature, such as:
- calculation of plant and process capital and operating costs,
- energy reuse and recycling,
- project management and marketing,
- renewable energy sources and life-cycle analysis.
In my third year I undertook a ... Read more
1 September 2009 - 31 August 2010
For a year I worked as a student engineer in Mott MacDonald's Water and Environment Division. I worked in the plant and process team, which is concerned with the design of water and waste-water treatment processes. During this time I worked on a variety of projects for both domestic and overseas clients.
Mott MacDonald was contracted by the Sultanate of Oman to assess the security of Oman's potable water supply. My key contributions were:
- compiling risk assessments produced by my colleagues into a unified set of summary tables;
- producing graphics illustrating proposed changes to the supply network and ... Read more